As a result of the pandemic, video conferencing apps are now being used at an increased volume. Work meetings, family gatherings and doctor visits are all being held virtually and the need for accessible communication solutions for the deaf and hard of hearing has skyrocketed. InnoCaption's DeskView feature helps make video conference calls far more accessible through our live captioning service.
It is important to note that the video conference call you are joining must have a telephone dial-in number in order to be used in conjunction with DeskView. If your Zoom meeting invitation does not have a telephone dial-in access number, your meeting host will have to set one up. Please refer to the article here for further information.
To use DeskView for captioning Zoom or other video conference calls
- Launch the DeskView portal from your computer by clicking the link here
Note: Consider bookmarking this page on your internet browser for easy access later
- Login and click START DESKVIEW — you will see a blue pop-up window appear
- Dial-in to the audio line of the video conference meeting using the dialer keypad on the right
Note: If you do not see a phone dial-in number in your meeting planner, be sure to request one from the meeting host in advance of your call
- Launch Zoom (or other video conference application) on your computer and join your video conference meeting
- Mute your DeskView microphone and speaker volume (see image below)
Note: If you skip this step, you will hear an echo and feedback
- Reposition the DeskView caption window to be placed next to or under your video conference call for easy viewing of captions
- Read the captions from the DeskView window and participate in the video conference with confidence!
Does DeskView work for FaceTime calls?
Unfortunately, DeskView does not work for FaceTime calls because InnoCaption requires a telephone dial-in to generate captions.
Can I share the captions with others on a video conference call using the DeskView feature?
When it comes to sharing the captions, if multiple attendees on the call would otherwise be using InnoCaption individually, we encourage screen sharing using our DeskView feature in order to minimize duplicate usage and billing to the TRS Fund.