As a result of the pandemic, video conferencing apps are now being used at an increased volume. Work meetings, family gatherings and doctor visits are all being held virtually and the need for accessible communication solutions for the deaf and hard of hearing has skyrocketed. InnoCaption is working hard to address these issues and we now have a feature called DeskView. This feature helps make video conference calls far more accessible by allowing you to live stream the same captions from your phone onto a computer screen, or to place a captioned call directly from your browser.
With our newly released DeskView update, users have the option of calling out directly from their browser in addition to the original method of mirror captions from calls made through the app on your phone or tablet!
To get started with DeskView
- Launch the DeskView portal from your computer by clicking the link here
Note: Consider bookmarking this page on your internet browser for easy access later
- Login and click on START DESKVIEW - you will see a blue pop-up window appear
- Make a call on your phone using the InnoCaption app and you will see the same captions from your phone appear on the blue pop-up window on your computer screen OR make a call using the keypad on the right side of the browser screen.
To use DeskView for captioning Zoom or other video conference calls while calling from the app on your phone or tablet:
- Launch DeskView on your computer by logging into the portal here and clicking on START DESKVIEW
- Dial-in to the video conference meeting using the InnoCaption app on your phone
Note: If you do not see a phone dial-in number in your meeting planner, be sure to request one from the meeting host in advance of your call
- Launch Zoom (or other video conference application) on your computer and join your video conference meeting
- Mute the microphone on either your computer or phone (but not both) to avoid an audio feedback loop
Note: We recommend muting the computer mic and allowing the phone to pick up your voice
- Reposition the DeskView caption window to be placed next to or under your video conference call for easy viewing of captions
- Read the captions from the DeskView window and participate in the video conference with confidence!
Note: Hanging up the conference call from your phone will stop the captions from appearing on DeskView so be sure to keep your phone dialed in until the end of the meeting
What if my Zoom meeting invitation doesn't have a telephone dial-in number?
If your Zoom meeting invitation does not have a telephone dial-in access number, your meeting host will have to set one up. Please refer to the article here for further information.
Does DeskView work for FaceTime calls?
Unfortunately, DeskView does not work for FaceTime calls because InnoCaption requires a telephone dial-in to generate captions.
Can I share the captions with others on a video conference call using the DeskView feature?
When it comes to sharing the captions, if multiple attendees on the call would otherwise be using InnoCaption individually, we encourage screen sharing using our DeskView feature in order to minimize duplicate usage and billing to the TRS Fund.