As a result of the pandemic, video conferencing apps are now being used at an increased volume. Work meetings, family gatherings and doctor visits are all being held virtually and the need for accessible communication solutions for the deaf and hard of hearing has skyrocketed. InnoCaption is working hard to address these issues and we now have a feature called DeskView, which helps make video conference calls far more accessible by allowing you to live stream the same captions from your phone onto a computer screen.
Please note that the DeskView feature simply mirrors the captions on your phone and does not allow you to dial a call directly from the computer. Therefore, you will still need to make and receive calls from the InnoCaption app on your phone for the captions to appear on DeskView.
To get started with DeskView
- Launch the DeskView portal from your computer by clicking the link here
Note: Consider bookmarking this page on your internet browser for easy access later
- Login and click on VIEW CAPTION - you will see a blue pop-up window appear
- Make a call on your phone using the InnoCaption app and you will see the same captions from your phone appear on the blue pop-up window on your computer screen
To use DeskView for captioning Zoom or other video conference calls
- Launch DeskView on your computer by logging into the portal here and clicking on VIEW CAPTION
- Dial-in to the video conference meeting using the InnoCaption app on your phone
Note: If you do not see a phone dial-in number in your meeting planner, be sure to request one from the meeting host in advance of your call
- Launch Zoom (or other video conference application) on your computer and join your video conference meeting
- Mute the microphone on either your computer or phone (but not both) to avoid an audio feedback loop
Note: We recommend muting the computer mic and allowing the phone to pick up your voice
- Reposition the DeskView caption window to be placed next to or under your video conference call for easy viewing of captions
- Read the captions from the DeskView window and participate in the video conference with confidence!
Note: Hanging up the conference call from your phone will stop the captions from appearing on DeskView so be sure to keep your phone dialed in until the end of the meeting
What if my Zoom meeting invitation doesn't have a telephone dialin number?
If your Zoom meeting invitation does not have a telephone dialin access number, your meeting host will have to set one up. Please refer to the article here for further information.
Does DeskView work for FaceTime calls?
Unfortunately, DeskView does not work for FaceTime calls because InnoCaption requires a telephone dialin to generate captions.
Can I share the captions with others on a video conference call using the DeskView feature?
When it comes to sharing the captions, if multiple attendees on the call would otherwise be using InnoCaption individually, we encourage screen sharing using our DeskView feature in order to minimize duplicate usage and billing to the TRS Fund.