Issues with caption lagging or not appearing are most often caused by unstable internet connections. Whether the captions are generated by a live stenographer or our automated speech recognition software, our servers must be able to communicate with your phone quickly and without delay in order for you to see smooth, live captioning.
If you are experiencing issues with caption lag, please first try restarting your phone and reactivating the app. This will reboot the app and refresh your connection to the InnoCaption server:
- Restart your phone. To do this, press and hold the power button, then select Power Off. Wait one minute then turn the phone back on by holding the power button again
- Reactivate the InnoCaption app. For step by step graphics on how to reactivate, click here: How to reactivate the app
To reactivate the InnoCaption app
- Open the InnoCaption app
- Tap Settings
- Tap InnoCaption Features
- Tap Reactivate App
- Tap Reactivate Now
- You will be taken back to your keypad, where you will see the confirmation message "Activated" at the bottom of the screen
If the above steps don't resolve the issue, please try turning off your Wi-Fi connection and use cellular data (LTE or 5G) to place a call with the InnoCaption app, assuming you are in an area with cellular reception. Note that InnoCaption calls use fairly small amounts of data and a 1GB data plan should provide over 200 hours of calling.
To switch your phone’s internet connection from Wi-Fi to cellular
- Go to device settings from your phone’s home screen
- Look for Wi-Fi and turn the setting off
- Confirm your phone still has a cellular network connection by looking for the signal bars at the top right of the screen
If the captioning issues go away after switching from Wi-Fi to a cellular network, the captioning issues are likely being caused by your home internet connection. Please note that even if you have full Wi-Fi signal bars shown on the top of your phone, you may still experience connection issues because the signal bars only represent the strength of the connection between your phone and router and not your underlying internet connection (from your router to your internet service provider). Home Wi-Fi routers may face issues over time such as a build up of buffering and delays. The best way to resolve these issues is to reset your router periodically.
To refresh your router connection
- Unplug your router’s cord from the wall
- Plug the cord back in
- Wait 1-2 minutes until all the lights are back up
After refreshing your router, please try making a call again while connected to your Wi-Fi network. If the captioning issue persists on your Wi-Fi network while it was resolved when connected to a cellular network, you will need to contact your internet service provider or troubleshoot your router. In the meantime, we would suggest you consider turning off your phone’s Wi-Fi connection and using your cellular network when making and receiving InnoCaption calls.
If neither of the solutions above worked for you, please reach out to our customer support team and provide us with your cell phone number so we can further investigate the issue and assist you.
Click here to email InnoCaption Customer Support.
If you are experiencing connection issues during a call while on a Wi-Fi network, we recommend switching off your phone’s Wi-Fi connection if you have access to a cellular data network. However, please note that this may sometimes lead to a call being dropped while your phone makes the switch.